Sandia National Laboratories R&D Systems Engineer - W76-1 Life Extension (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a R&D S&E, Systems Engineer
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Lead research and development conceptual system trade studies for Sandia programs.
- Direct systematic study toward a fuller knowledge or understanding of the fundamental aspects of phenomena and of observable facts, and discovers or synthesizes new approaches to achieve goals.
- Use systems engineering principles to research, design, or develop structures, instruments, machines, experiments, processes, systems, theories, or technologies; to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions as well as eventual mission characteristics and application.
- Create new understandings and capabilities by using the scientific method’s hypothesis, test, and evaluation techniques; critical review; or similar engineering research and development methods to bring disparate technologies together to solve system issues.
- Initiate, design, develop, execute, and evaluate new processes, products, or systems through basic and applied research.
- Define future development activity and possible technology transfer of solutions, products, principles or technology.
- Bachelor’s and advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) in a relevant STEM discipline; or Bachelor’s in a relevant STEM discipline plus 4 years relevant experience in lieu of an advanced degree
- Two years relevant experience
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Experience working with: National Nuclear Security Administration, DoD customers, Los Alamos National Laboratory, DoD contractors, as well as the Kansas City National Security Campus (KCNSC) and Pantex Production Plants
- Experience in the following areas: surveillance, engineering drawing and authorization system, production, product development and qualification, testing and evaluation, modeling and simulation
- Experience with and understanding of Nuclear Weapons
- Proven ability to integrate and work effectively across technical teams, interface with customers and suppliers to resolve issues, and conduct tradeoffs to identify system solutions is essential
- Proven ability to work effectively with management is essential
- Demonstrated communication skills
The W76-1 Life Extension Project Department is responsible for the refurbishment of the W76 warhead to extend its stockpile life. We are seeking an experienced R&D Systems Engineer or equivalent to join our team to lead high-visibility, fast-paced engineering and science activities in support of W76-1 system. We are responsible for the continued qualification and production of an integrated replacement arming, fuzing and firing (AF&F) system, a joint test assembly (JTA), and the system hardware for the Mk4A reentry body assembly. Our responsibilities also include all facets of supporting a weapon system; weapon system assessments of critical components, technical efforts supporting nuclear safety, special studies and testing and analysis of the stockpile weapon systems/components. Important external interfaces include our National Nuclear Security Administration, DoD customers, Los Alamos National Laboratory, DoD contractors, as well as the Kansas City National Security Campus (KCNSC) and Pantex Production Plants. Developing internal interfaces and relationships with component, quality, design definition, test and evaluation, computational simulation, and independent assessment organizations will be critical for the successful candidate(s).
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT