IDEX Optical Systems Development Engineer in Rochester, New York
Title: Optical Systems Development Engineer
Business Unit: Melles Griot (Rochester)
55 Science Parkway
Rochester, New York, 14620
Optical Systems Development Engineer
Idex Health & Science combines expertise in optical and mechanical
design, optical fabrication, coating, metrology, and high-precision
assembly, with a global manufacturing base, to provide turnkey optical
systems that are unmatched in price and performance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the transitions of new optical systems from R&D concepts to
- Lead product development activities via the IH&S product development
process including, DFMEA, PFMEA, design reviews, manufacturing and test
- Review customer/design engineering specifications, drawings and other
supporting documents and provide feedback in regards to manufacturing
methods, tolerancing and performance risks.
- Lead the design and development of complex test stations and alignment
systems/methods for new products.
- Support prototype building and testing with documentation, analysis and
feedback of improvements.
- Interface with customer and internal team members on critical development
activities, status and tasks.
- Support design verification testing with test plan creation,
specification of testing equipment and data analysis.
- Support new process development for manufacturing with
measurement/validation plans and techniques. Lead the design of appropriate
tooling and equipment and support results with data analysis.
- Support tolerance and design of optical systems by developing error
budgets and supporting statistics.
- Responsible for new products entering production to achieve high yield
and cost targets.
- Investigate and initiate corrective action to manufacturing problems
arising in the manufacture of one or more of the following: optical
components, parts and materials, assembly of optical, mechanical,
electrical, electronic or electromechanical units, assemblies, subsystems
and systems or manufacturing problems associated with the inspection and/or
testing of organization produced products.
- Review, evaluate, propose and make drawing changes on production released
material and coordinates these changes with manufacturing and support
- Use tools, such as interferometers, laser alignment stations, power
meters and distortion test equipment for measuring and studying new
- Apply experience with manufacturing processes including Six Sigma, lean
manufacturing, and statistical process control (SPC).
- BS in Mechanical or Optical Engineering with a minimum 5 years industrial
experience in optics and manufacturing.
- MS or PhD in Mechanical or Optical Engineering with a minimum of 1 year
industrial experience in optics and manufacturing.
- Proficient with Zemax in analyzing optical performance, performing
sensitivity analysis and tolerancing.
Proficient with Matlab and MS office.
Experience with CAD software and design of mechanical parts: Solidworks a
- Experience with assembly and testing using optical test equipment in
optical system manufacturing environment.
- Experience using optical and electrical test equipment such as power
meters, spectrum analyzers, interferometers, CCD/CMOS cameras, and
Knowledge of first order optical principles and aberration theory.
Successful track record accomplishing desired results.
Effective, hard worker with a team player “can-do” approach.
Ability to work in a multifunctional team environment.
Knowledge of Six Sigma, SPC and/or ISO process controls.
Proficiency with data acquisition software (LabVIEW), data analysis
software (MATLAB, Minitab, Excel).
- Experience with design/developing custom optical test equipment including
specifying optical and mechanical components and performing error analysis
of proposed test method.
This job position requires compliance with ITAR Regulations. Therefore, all
employees working in this capacity must meet citizenship status. Per the
CVI Melles Griot Export Controls Policy and Procedure, the employee must be
a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident.
IDEX is an equal opportunity employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled